Monday, July 2, 2012

July 4th Almost Here

Patriotic quilting projects for 4th of July.   Found the stashed blocks from a Patriotic Kitty swap. They've been lost for a few years, found them under stacks of patriotic fabrics in a big plastic tub (bottom of closet). Yikes, I gotta do better when storing these away this time.
40 finished blocks, ten more cut ready to sew and several scraps to make a few more.  Bet I can get two lap sized throws from that many kitty blocks.

Found the kitty blocks while looking for border fabric to go with these Patriotic Snowball blocks.  These are "Americana" colors, muted with tans.  I saved these out from some others I showed a while back. Those were true bright red, white and blue patriotic fabrics (for a QOV). I saved these for a quilt for my DH.
Twenty four years as a Combat Arms Army Officer with a volunteer deployment to Desert Storm.  I think my DH deserves a Valor Quilt.  He saw these blocks this morning and asked what they were for. I told him- for you. His face lit up with a big smile.
I'll be working to get the blocks into a top with borders and all, ready to quilt by July 4th (I hope).   Have to order a backing, he would like flannel. All the blocks need squaring and some corners need frog-stitching and resewn. (As it goes with swap blocks but an easy fix for these).

Funny fruit photo:  found these peaches in the commissary grocery store at Ft Huachuca.  Looks like they have been squished, caved in at top and bottom, plain flattened.
I'm used to peaches being more or less round.   Hope they still have some, I'll make sure to find out the variety name next time I shop.  LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment