Saturday, June 8, 2019

My How Time Flies !

 Today I'm throwing up (ha ha) all my completed Gypsy Wife photos.  I'm behind the FB group sew-along but pleased with what I've accomplished so far. 
My arm was sore from cutting strips, two fabrics at a time.  These are just a few so far. Steam and heavy starch are your friends in this endeavour. Lots of rotary blades too. 
 I'm sewing two quilts at once, one for my sister and one for me.  I cannot imagine cutting one quilt at a time, considering all the deciding and measuring that goes into a Gypsy Wife quilt.  As others have said, this is an exercise in precise sewing ! Better get your 1/4" down !
 I wasn't looking for a lot of contrast in my quilt.  Strips below are about half the number needed.  I'll mix in some deeper colored strips later on.

Some blocks I changed up like these, supposed to be square in a square but didn't want to loose butterfly wings.  Little changes make the quilt my own.
 Lots of novelty scraps are being put into use.  I did paper piece the little two inch blocks, easier for me that way.  (The FB group doesn't allow paper piecing but I won't tell on myself).  There are several other very difficult blocks I'll paper piece, I found free patterns on Pinterest so why not ?
 There's about a gazillion more of these 2" filler blocks to make. But it's fun choosing fabrics for them. I have learned to not be picky, just choose and sew.  O n e  a t  a  t i m e.

HST (8") block using the same print and mixed with black/grey/white for interest.  So many different colors and combinations you could choose, it was hard deciding.  Lots of ideas on the net.
The FB sew-along is going by sections each month but I decided to complete all my blocks first.  No, I don't know why, LOL.
Gotta keep slogging away,  I'm too far along with this quilt to quit and would be disappointed in myself if I did.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!!! It is so good you found a project you like that is challenging! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete